Saturday, February 20, 2010

The day I step on Melbourne

Believe it or not, I have been landing in Melbourne for five days. The dream of studying overseas when I was still in standard 6 is not a longer a dream, it has become a reality. It's still a bit unbelievable to me, I guess my soul is still in my homeland, Malaysia but physically I m here, Australia..

So let just talk about my experience here since I arrived, was actually quite amazed by the clean and well-organised system here. U can hardly see a single rubbish or even paper along the road, so u can imagine how clean is it compared to Malaysia.and we are not allowed to just simply cross the road or you will be fined heavily, if nt mistaken it can be up to 500 dollars. To play safe, just obey ev single traffic rules here. When the traffic light for pedestrians turn green, u actually do not have to worry cos the drivers here will just stop immediately before the line. So it's so much safer here, n i can hardly see overhead bridge due to its road system...

About my uni, I would say it's awesome. love the greenery surrouding here..n u can see the local students just lying on the grass n reading up their books..It gives me a sense of comfort n the feeling is just so relaxing. Well, due to my location of my apartment, I would have to walk a distance in order to reach my commerce faculty. But i guess it should be fine, the morning breeze here is just nice as if u are walking along the beach..haha..ohya, there are lots of ppl cycling to work o study here, but they must wear helmet along for the safety purposes..guess that I will go for a try someday, so cool!!ahah...

As my roomie, Lin arrived few days earlier than me, so I m lucky to have her showing me the way to few places like uni, QV, etc..actually all the times I m relying on her to reach at a certain places due to the fact that I m seriously a person with zero geographical knowlegdes. It always takes me some times to learn the route..so these few days the most frequent places I have been to is BigW, the place where you can get lots of cheaper stuff, then few of us just explored around since we were still free while waiting for the orientation week. Always heard for others about the china town, when I was really there, it's just normal actually. nothing special, like the Petaling Street in KL..or perhaps we can search for a sense of belongings here whenever we find ourselves in a severe homesick. It can be said a combination of Malaysia, HongKong, China and Taiwan..haha..no kidding, there's a abundance of chinese here actually..

and it's really lucky of me to have Rongsheng around..thanks for his great hospitality in bringing us around the city, st.Kilda beach, n few asian shops where we can get variety of Malaysians food here with affordable price. U will be surprised to find Tiger brand heo Pia originated from TI here, no kidding,then milo, nescafe 3 in 1, n a lots more...

So far, i m still taking tim to adapt to the new environment here.In australia, the drinking water can just straight away get from the tap water, meaning u actually dont have to boil it unless u need hot water.Im quite shocked with it actually, somehow I still feel a bit unsecured of drinking that..haaha...meanwhile, the food portion here is just too much for a person, so normally i will share it with lin o pack the rest of the food as my dinner..nt a bad strategy in saving money, right?In order to stave off my homesickness, what I do is always skype with my family at night..at least it gives me some secured feeling as I seriously hate the night time here for now...have no idea of doing what, I m nt used to the silence n lonely surrounding..that's y i have just used up so muc to cal bac, due the lagging internet connection while having webcam with my family..

That' still long way for me to go along this path..Like I always say to others, it may look absolutely great to get this golden chance to study abroad from other's point of view, yet it always comes with pains..as the saying goes, no pain no gain..For whatever decison that i have made, just strive hard for it and never look back..DOnt worry and I will be doing fine here....

3 comments:

  1. good good u updated haha.

    ehem clean?! just see when drunken ppl everywhere and the rubbish whenever there's festival. too bad i didnt snap the horrible pile of rubbish and show u.

    take care.

    p/s: blogging helps to kill boredom as well =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA. Good. It is realy good to hear from you maria wu jie(hope you dont mind i keep calling you that). This is just the start of your wonderful uni life. As how you have always tell me, you too must enjoy your uni life there. You have grown up. Till we meet again, take care always. We all miss you. GAMBATEH and just go out to enjoy life to the fullest! I am sure that your parents are also happy to see you getting used around. Do send my regards to your room mate. haha. Keep us updated always if can..haha.

    Warmest regards,
    Jia Cheng Gan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey,great2 hear from u here..well,hope u will adapt2 the environment there soon...do take k of urself all the time pls!!this is the best way nt2 let ur family worried bout u..dun carry much heavy things due2 ur backache...as wat gan said,v wil always miss u here...no matter where u go,u r stil apart of our family members..take k...

    siew ling

    ReplyDelete