Saturday, August 14, 2010

Things to learn

Ever realise that my recent posts are pretty much about learning. Well, that's my goal of this semester.

Attended The Annual General Meeting of Momu(Malaysian Club) last Friday. It was totally different from what I perceive all this while. I thought it is just simply an election whereby every candidate will give their bombastic speech in the hope of gaining the majority support. But it turned up to be more like a "political debate" like what we can always see in TV, specifically Malaysia Parliament. Perhaps this is what we called as the playing field? Everyone is trying to sell off themselves in the pursuit of their aims, whether is it done in the compromise of friendship? I wouldnt know..

Nevertheless, there are somethings in value that I can pick up!
There's this guy, Mr.J nominated himself as the president. Putting aside the content of his speech which I think was a bit irrelevant in regards to what he can contribute as a president, undoubtedly, I personally feel that the way he spoke is convincing!He made me feel like a politician, particularly MCA, who was giving speech in front of me, perhaps because of his entire outfit!haha...Although most of us felt that the way he too emphasized on how he contributed as a sponsorship director before this is way too irrelevant, he did make himself a good point!It's because he kept mentioning how importance is this piece of sponsorship in developing Momu, I bet most of us who were present that day remember him! What I want to point out is that he succeeded in leaving at least something in everyone of us compared to his opponent, Mr,B. Mr. B did talk a lot, trying to promote himself. Yet, regardless how hard I try to recall back, I just couldnt remember even one point he mentioned. Get what I want to stress on? You can speak for even a day, but what matter the most I guess would be the quality of ur speech but not the quantity!

Next, body language!People tend to have their very own personal style when standing on the stage. Some might be over confident, some trying to raise their voice at times to catch attention, some overly nervous when they started stuttering and lots more. This is not what we can control unless you are those kind of person who used to speak in front of the public. and I find this truly important as this is the first impression people start judging you. Regardless how well you prepare beforehand, if you were to fail yourself at this critical stage, that's it!YOU FAIL! I salute those who are able to respond calmly and confidently when bombarded with tonnes of critical questions! If i were to be one of them, I think I will surely embarrass myself by giving the stupid answers.There's one girl throwing this question to two candidates who nominated themselves as treasurer. It sounds something like this" What will you do if you find out that the financial statement prepared by you is nt balanced. How are you going to cover these up?" Apparently, two of them werent answering in respond to this question but saying something else instead.(can't remember). So what you will do? I;m still figuring it out as I m holding the position as a treasurer too!haha....All in all, I guess there's Still way too long for me to reach the stage" Think fast and act ever faster"!

Other than Momu, I am recently taking charge of food department under this event called festival Malaysia. It's a malaysian cultural event which I think will be pretty grand since it is something to do with City of Melbourne. Basically what I need to do is keep calling those owners of Malaysian restaurants to ask them to join us. and this made me finally tasted the bitter side of being as a salesman for I was kept confronted with disappointment. Apparently, most of them declined once I mentioned that setting up booth to sell food is what u need to do. I reckon it's way too troublesome for them to carry all their cooking apparatus and set it up to sell food. One other thing probably would be the profit earned by them that day solely might not be able to cover up the expenses since the marquee already costs them $700 to $1200. (applying cost-benefit principles learned in Econs). But think deeply, it's actually quite a good chance for them to advertise their restaurant, and they are free to charge whatever price they want. and I'm pretty sure that people going that day will be willing to spend on food provided that it is attractive enough and delicious!Gonna learn to be more persuasive for the next few days! Anyway, it's not too bad getting involved in such thing especially when receiving some constructive comments from Azrina. haha..Well, I enjoy doing it as the same thing picking up my communication skill..Weeeeee^^

I find myself seriously fond of clicking on Fortune Cookies recently to check out the daily advice. What surprises me is that the advice popped out every day matches what's in my mind. Not kidding!Like the one today:
"Feeding a cow with roses does not get extra appreciation"

Everytime when things seems to go against me, I tell myself to hang on there. After all, it's just a trivial insignificant matter when u look at it back in the future. It's not worth bothering you that much. Yet, the more I mumble to myself this, the more I find it actually haunting me. Guess I'm defeated by it! But I choose to believe that as long as I am done with my part, I m fine with it. To make me feel better, perhaps! THe song says: Let it in and let it out. And that's how I channel it out through blogging. Gonna improve much in Emotional Intelligence!

Busy weeks ahead. Gambahteh!

No comments:

Post a Comment